Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"Tere Bina Tere Bina Dil Naiyyo Lagda..." Music Hummm-gama #1: Tere Bina

Song: Tere Bina
Film: Tezz
Composer: Sajid-Wajid
Playback Singer: Rahat Fateh Ali Khan
This recent song from Tezz got me thinking of all the songs that have any combination of the words 'tere' and 'bin' ('tere bina' means 'without you') within the title/main chorus, and I came across over 10 songs (12 15 to be exact, there may be more). Wow, Bollywood lyricists must be a little depressed! Anyway, this plethora of 'Tere Bina' songs begins my first post in my "Music Hummm-gama" series, which follows the crazy patterns that I notice within Bollywood music. Here's a list of 'Tere Bina' songs, with a top 5 countdown:


#5. Bin Tere: Woh Lamhe (2006) - This song's lyrics are quite heartfelt (mere dil ki rani tum, mere khushiyon ka mausam), and the song is even better after watching the film Woh Lamhe, (which also has Kangna Ranaut, with Shiney Ahuja). I don't know where or how Pritam gets these awesome, unique singers for his films, but Jawad Ahmad voice and tone is perfect for this song. Love it! Bin Tere (Woh Lamhe)

#4. Tere Bina Zindagi Se: Andhi (1975) - Yup, I went old school. Good music spans all decades, including this song (perhaps the first 'Tere Bina' song? hummm). I'll admit, I haven't listened to a lot of R.D. Burman's music, but this is probably still one of his best songs. And of course, Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar are flawless. Shikva nahi, shikva nahi... Tere Bina Zindagi Se (Andhi)

#3. Tere Bin: Bas Ek Pal (2006) - There aren't many playback singers in Bollywood that can sing depressing/heartfelt songs better than Atif Aslam can, and this song proves it. Along with Atif, music director Mithoon and lyricist Sayeed Quadri made this song one of the best in the year 2006. I just can't get enough! Tere Bin (Bas Ek Pal)

#2. Bin Tere: I Hate Luv Storys (2010) - All of the I Hate Luv Storys songs were amazing, but this one was definitely the best. Just when I think that Vishal & Shekhar have made their best songs, they come out with even better ones! Shafqat Amanat Ali's voice for this Bin Tere is a nice surprise (in a world that is otherwise ruled by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan), and of course, Sunidhi Chauhan picks it up well mid-song. Koi khalish hai hawaon mein bin tere... Bin Tere (I Hate Luv Storys)

#1. Tere Bina: Guru (2007) - Dum dara dum dara, mast mast...This is definitely, undoubtedly, absolutely, undeniably, (and any other synonym of those words) the best 'Tere Bina' song, and if I may so, one of A.R. Rahman's best songs, if not the best. In this song, we have the maestro himself singing, something that we do not get to experience very often from his albums. Tere Bina will always be classic and timeless. Abhi-Aish, you're one lucky couple. Tere Bina (Guru)

If you know of any other 'Tere Bina' songs, let me know, and I'll add them to the list!

*Thanks to desigrl27 for suggesting these songs to add to the list!
    

3 comments:

  1. dude seriously. That was my thought too when I saw the newest Bin Tere in Chakradhaar. There's also a Tere Bin in Bhagam Bhag, Tere Bin Nahi Jeena in Kachche Dhaage, Tere Bin Sanu Sonya in Delhii Heights, Tere Bina in Khushi, and just plain Tum Bin from Tum Bin. These (and some of the songs you mentioned) were part of the results I got when I searched for "bin" in my music library haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. also haha I love the label "Hummm-gama" ...clever! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Oh my gosh, how could I have forgotten Tere Bin Sanu Soniya??? And thanks for the rest, I'll add them to the list!

    ReplyDelete